All not yet lost for Fuzile

There are moves to still get boxing sensation Azinga Fuzile into the lucrative Super Four Featherweight series (S4), according to promoter Rodney Berman.

FIT FOR FISTICUFFS: Azinga Fuzile during the pre-medical held at the Gompo Hall. Picture: MICHAEL PINYANA

Berman was reacting to Daily Dispatch reports that Fuzile has opted to withdraw from the series as it clashes with his October matric exams.

If Fuzile withdraws he stands to lose out on R475000 financial windfall or at least R175000 which will be paid to each boxer taking part in the series.

The series will pit four boxers on elimination basis with former world champion Simpiwe Vetyeka, Lerato Dlamini and Tshifhiwa Munyai already confirmed participation.

But it is Fuzile who will give the series a major boost due to his marketability owing to making a record of winning the national title in only his fifth professional fight.

However the 20-year-old is also preparing for his Grade 12 exams with his fellow pupils at Kusile Comprehensive School in Duncan Village.

Fuzile has been pleading with Berman to shift the dates for the series scheduled to be held towards the end of October so that he could be able to participate.

Yesterday, Berman said the door was not closed on Fuzile and that discussions were still continuing to get him on board.

“We are talking with Fuzile’s people and hopefully we will be able to find each other,” he said.

“Yes nothing has been confirmed so far because the contract has not been signed as yet but things are looking positive.”

The latest developments have now put more pressure on the southpaw champion not only to beat Rofhiwa Maemu against whom he defends his SA featherweight title at Orient Theatre on Sunday but to do so in impressive fashion.

The former amateur star will headline a Rumble Africa Promotions show when he vies for the second defence of the crown he sensationally lifted from experienced Mdantsane hero Macbute Sinyabi in one of the upsets in September last year.

Maemu has vowed to spoil the party by not only beating Fuzile but knock him out.

“He is going down, no doubt,” he was quoted as saying.

“I see that they are already making plans beyond this fight but that will be their mistake. There will be no S4 participation for Fuzile unless he will go there on the back of a loss.”

Fuzile’s trainer Mzamo Njekanye has allayed fears that Maemu was being taken lightly in light of the potential windfall.

“No not at all,” he said.

“If anything we are ready to put Maemu in his place so that we can focus on the next step. People should not be worried about this fight in light of these developments.”

Fuzile is the brightest talent to emerge from the shack-littered township.

But unlike previous talent from the township, he is the most level-headed youngster who has not allowed fame to come to his head.

In January he was voted as the Prospect of the Year and his talent is already attracting heavyweight promoters with Berman leading the fray.

NO COMMENTS

Have your say