Xolisani “Nomeva” Ndongeni has had yet another setback, this time in the US after his proposed ring return on October 28 was cancelled.
Organisers were still trying to secure an opponent for him.
Ndongeni was looking to finally step into the ring to display what he has learnt at the Mayweather Boxing Club where he has been training for close to a month now.
The KwaBhaca-born boxer left to train in the US with the financial aid of presidential hopeful Matthew Phosa in the hope of reviving his career, which has been blighted by inactivity.
This started when he joined Johannesburg trainer and promoter Colin Nathan and Rodney Berman.
Due to lack of action, Ndongeni eventually severed ties with the duo and returned to his second home in Duncan Village where he had learnt the boxing ropes.
After approaching Andile Sidinile for help, Ndongeni was shipped to the US in a bid to revive his career.
Ironically Sidinile was in court this week, summoned by Boxing SA to repay the money he owes, among others, Ndongeni from his tournament in April this year.
Ndongeni was among the boxers owed their purses after he knocked out Tanzanian Emilio Norfat.
BSA has since repaid the money on behalf of Sijuta Promotions, for which Sidinile was the chief executive.
The regulatory body now wants Sijuta to reimburse it for the money paid.
Sidinile, who activated his US contacts to help Ndongeni, was busy preparing to leave for America for the fight.
But he confirmed yesterday that the fight had been cancelled.
“Yes, we can confirm that Nomeva will no longer be fighting on October 28,” he said.
Among the reasons is the failure of the organisers to secure an opponent for Layla McCarter, who was scheduled to headline the tournament.
McCarter will be remembered as the boxer who dealt Mdantsane boxing heroine Noni Tenge her first loss when she was knocked out for the WBA junior-middleweight crown at Orient Theatre in 2012.
She was scheduled to return as the main bout in the Ndongeni fight tournament, but numerous efforts, including a bid to get Tenge to fight her in a rematch, failed to yield results.
Sidinile had also approached a female fighter from Malawi, but she was turned down by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, indirectly affecting Ndongeni.
Despite the setback, Sidinile said Ndongeni was in high spirits, as a new date for his return would be sought.
“He understands the boxing dynamics, so he is not gutted, though he is disappointed,” he said.
Ndongeni has not fought since beating Mexican Juan Garcia Mendez in the US in November last year.
His inactivity led to him losing his IBO world lightweight title and lofty ratings by the WBA.
But Sidinile said the charismatic boxer would be back in the ring before the end of the year.
Ndongeni, 27, is yet to taste a defeat in 22 bouts, and he also holds the honour of being voted as the country’s boxer of the year in January this year.