The election commission has set a deadline to announce results for all Eastern Cape municipalities, provincial head Thami Mraji announced at midday today.
Mraji said 61% of Buffalo City Metro results had been completed by midday and in Nelson Mandela Metro 73% had also been completed.
“We will complete all our results this afternoon. The commssion has set a 4pm deadline but we will beat that timeline with an hour to spare,” he added.
At least 11 municipalities had complete results by midday yesterday. The ANC has retained 10 of the municipalities while the DA won Kouga.T hese include:
- Umzimvubu local municipality where the ANC retained its control after it secured (ANC 77.15%, DA 7.2%, UDM 6.38%)
- Inxuba Yethu in Cradock where the ANC received 58.4%, DA 39%
- Ngqushwa with ANC leading with 84.4%, EFF 7.99%
- Great Kei (ANC 70.78%, DA 19.13 % as well as an Independent (4.93%). The independent also secured one PR seat in the Council
- Koukamma (ANC 50.87%, DA 43.66%)
- Kouga (DA 57.04%, ANC 40.1%)
- Maletswai-Gariep (ANC)
- Camdeboo which is a combination of Graaff-Reinet, Ikhwezi and Baviaans municiplaities (ANC 51.05%, DA 46.59%)
- Blue Crane (ANC 60.4%, DA 37.57%)
- Ndlambe (ANC 62.19%, DA 30.79%)
- Sundays River (ANC 71%, DA 21%)
Mraji said at 10 more municipalities 90% to 99% of the work had been finalised and by late afternoon the provisional results would be announced, along with the rest of the municipalities.
He said only one objection had been registered to his office, after a political party found that “there were dIsparities between ward, proportional representation and district council result at a Blue Crane voting station called Glen Avon.