An alleged assassin-for-hire who gunned down Raymond Mhlaba municipality council speaker Thozama Njobe in Fort Beaufort two weeks ago was arrested in Mdantsane on Saturday.
The arrest by a provincial police task team formed to investigate the high-profile killing was kept secret by police management, who are still trying to establish the real motive for the murder.
Provincial police spokeswoman Colonel Sibongile Soci confirmed the arrest yesterday.
Soci said the suspect – Mziyanda Ketani, 29 – was arrested and appeared in the Fort Beaufort Magistrate’s Court on Monday.
“He has been remanded in custody and will appear in court again on August 7,” said Soci.
She said their investigation was continuing and police were following further leads.
“The matter is sub judice and no further details will be shared on the matter,” Soci said.
Njobe, 43, was allegedly shot 16 times by a lone gunman shortly before midnight on the day in question.
She had been in the company of a colleague, Mandla Makeleni, who escaped the attack unharmed.
Njobe was rushed to the nearest hospital where she was declared dead on arrival.
The mother of three was buried at the weekend. — email@example.com