Intsika Yethu mayor Jongumzi Cengani claims that he is being targeted, together with his family.
Cengani confirmed these claims to the Saturday Dispatch earlier this week.
He said although he was not comfortable discussing the matter yet, he said he was certain his life was in danger. The municipality said it had not officially received any report that suggested that the mayor’s life was in danger and could therefore not comment.
Municipality spokesperson Zuko Tshangana said only the mayor could furnish the details and the nature of the threats and the municipality would wait to be officially informed before commenting.
“An official media statement will be issued out should there be an official report brought to the attention of the municipality,” said Tshangana.
The 42-member council governs two towns ,Cofimvaba and Tsomo.
Opposition parties in the council are adamant that the threats emanate from ANC factional battles which are causing a shift in the focus of the municipality.
The EFF further vowed that not a cent of state funds would be used to beef up the mayor’s security.
EFF’s Wonga Dunjwa, the portfolio head for finance, said the ANC must sort out their issues and let the council continue with the business of service delivery to the people.
He said the factions could battle it out to the end. “We don’t have a problem, but we want people of Intsika Yethu to get service delivery,” said Dunjwa.
Cengani is said to have told his executive in a committee meeting that his life was in danger.
Dunjwa said although he was made aware of the claims made by the mayor, he did not attend the meeting on the day.
“The mayor has not opened a criminal case anywhere. He has not given us the details of all these claims,” said Dunjwa.