Two children narrowly escape burning home

Two children had a narrow escape when their home burnt down on Sunday night in Reeston leaving the family homeless.

Nomonde Moyikwa of Reeston saw parts of her rdp house burn down on sunday evening.picture:SIBONGILE NGALWA

Six-year-old Asiphe Moyikwa was home alone when the fire started around 8pm.

His uncle Simamkele Rungqu, 17, said he suspected that Asiphe played with the candles used to light up the RDP house while he “quickly” went out.

“I had gone out to call my mother to come back home as I needed to go elsewhere when I saw smoke coming from the bedroom. My mother had visited one of our neighbours,” said Simamkele.

He said the first thing that came to his mind was to save his nephew from the bedroom, he however burnt his hand while trying to save the seven-year-old boy.

Homeowner Nomonde Moyikwa said she was devastated by the loss of her home.

“We don’t know how my grandchild survived, he was taken to hospital but they found that he did not suffer any injuries. Although we don’t know how we will pick up the pieces, we don’t even know where we will sleep tonight, we are just grateful nobody died. We would really appreciate any kind of help from anyone,” said Moyikwa.

NO COMMENTS

Have your say