Cops’ housebreaking docket found on the floor at back of taxi

A Mdantsane businesswoman whose house was burgled in March could not believe her ears when she received a call this week saying her police docket was found in a taxi.

FEELING BETRAYED: Pumela Shadrack with the police docket that was left abandoned in a taxi this week. Picture: SUPPLIED

Pumela Shadrack, 53, who lost clothes worth R55000 and a laptop during the break-in at her NU14 house on March 31, said police had failed her. She travels to China to buy clothes for resale.

“I came back from China on March 15. On March 31 I went to town and came back to find my house had been broken into,” Shadrack said yesterday, adding she had opened a case at the nearby Inyibiba police station. She said she battled to get police to visit the scene and take fingerprints for a week.

“In May my ex-husband caught the guys who had broken in after they were pointed out by my neighbour. He took the suspects to the police station and was told the investigating officer had knocked off.

“He visited the house of the investigating officer with the suspects and the policeman told him to return the following day at the police station with the suspects.

“The next day we could not find the suspects,” Shadrack said, adding she then took the matter to provincial police HQ in Zwelitsha.

Shadrack said there was no help from the provincial police either.

“On Monday I received a call from a taxi owner, Nomawethu, at the Boxer taxi rank in town saying that she found the docket on the floor at the back of her taxi. My contact details were on the docket. I was shocked. I felt betrayed. How can my docket be out of the police station?”

Mdantsane police spokesman Captain Nkosikho Mzuku said the case was being investigated by provincial police detectives.

Provincial police spokesman Khaya Tonjeni said the docket was at headquarters being handled by “a new detective”.

“After this case was opened, detectives were attached to it and investigation was initiated. It was taken to the state prosecutor by Nyibiba but they declined to prosecute because of insufficient evidence. The complainant expressed her disappointment with the way the case was handled at Nyibiba. She also indicated she had new information. Investigation continues,” he said. —


Have your say