JUST IN: 100 unresolved disputes delay ANC conference – again

The much-anticipated ANC provincial conference in the Eastern Cape has been postponed for September 27 to 30.

ANC provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane. Picture: MICHAEL PINYANA

This was confirmed by ANC provincial secretary Oscar Mabuyane who cited 100 unresolved disputes among the reasons to shelve the conference which was due to start on August 31 until September 3. This is not the first time the provincial elective conference has been postponed. It was initially set to sit in July.

Mabuyane added that another reason for the postponement was that about 100 branches were yet to sit for the branch general meetings (BGMs).

Said Mabuyane: “Yes, the provincial conference of the ANC will no longer be taking place on August 31 to Sepetember 3 as initially planned but will be convened from September 27 to the 30th.

“In the main the reasons for the postponement are pending dispute resolutions which will start only on Friday while there are about 100 pending BGM,” he went on.

However, said Mabuyane, in terms of the BGMs the 70% threshold had been achieved “what is important is that 70% of the verification process must be comleted before conference can convene”.

It is in this conference that Mabuyane will be expected to contest incumbent provincial chairman Phumulo Masualle in what is expected to be a tight contest that can go either way.

NO COMMENTS

Have your say