Arena Holdings / The Herald / Weekend Post
Position: Night Editor
Reporting to: Editor
Publications: The Herald and Weekend Post
Location: Port Elizabeth
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / OUTCOMES
• Ensure the latest breaking news is covered by The Herald for its digital & print platforms
• Oversee the final layout and edit of the pages and ensure the night news production runs smoothly and there is a smooth handover to the early morning digital team in order to meet the needs of digital consumers
• Ensure quality and immediacy of news content
• Work with the news production team to ensure around-the-clock breaking news coverage
• Repackage and rewrite news content from multiple sources
• Proofreading and occasional sub-editing
• Write accurate & eye-catching headlines and photo captions
• Write opinion pieces and editorials
• Taking on a senior role in the team, including participating in afternoon diary conferences, ensuring the coverage of late news stories for both digital and print platforms, including national developments.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• A relevant qualification in Media – related degree would be advantageous
• Minimum of 8 years’ experience on a mainstream daily or weekend newspaper
• Excellent leadership skills
• Excellent command of English language, above average
• A demonstrated understanding of the online news productions, ethics and current affairs
CORE COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
• Exclusive news stories
• A thorough knowledge of journalistic ethics and practices
• Knowledge of issues affecting NMBM, the Eastern Cape and SA at large
• Good general knowledge
• A commitment to high quality journalism
• Ability to work to tight deadlines with a quick turnaround
• Excellent copy-editing skills
• A talent for writing
• Above average command of the English language
• Initiate and recommend fresh and imaginative ways of working
• Good interpersonal skills.
Please send your CV to: email@example.com
Closing date: Friday, 22 January 2021
Arena Holdings (Pty) Ltd is an Affirmative Action Employer and as such, preference will be given to candidates who will add to the diversity of our organization. Kindly take note that should we not respond to you in the next21 days, you may regard your application as unsuccessful.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.