ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa accused of rape

Acting ANC spokesman Zizi Kodwa. File photo.
Acting ANC spokesman Zizi Kodwa. File photo.
Image: Masi Losi

Another ANC spokesperson has been accused of sexual assault - this time with Zizi Kodwa facing the allegation.

TimesLIVE has established that a rape allegation has been levelled at Kodwa, the party's acting spokesperson. He is alleged to have raped a woman at a private function.

Although details are sketchy, ANC deputy secretary general Jessie Duarte confirmed to TimesLIVE on Saturday that the rape allegation had been made with the office of secretary general, Ace Magashule.

She said Kodwa denied the allegations.

“We have received the letter. The letter was presented to the person concerned [Zizi Kodwa]. He has denied what is in the letter,” she said.

Duarte said the ANC advised Kodwa's accuser to rather take the rape allegations to the police.

“We have advised the young lady to go to the police because the matter she is raising requires thorough investigation. The ANC does not have the capacity to do that kind of thing,” she explained.

She said the ANC could not currently go beyond this advise to Kodwa's accuser.

“The allegation is this happened in a private function, so we really cannot go beyond the advise that we have given her at this time. Finding the relevant facts is the work of the criminal justice system,” Duarte added.

Kodwa could not be reached for comment.

The news comes shortly after another party spokesperson, Pule Mabe, was accused of sexually harassing his former personal assistant. The party ruled that Mabe was not guilty.


X