BY THE NUMBERS | Eastern Cape Covid-19 district breakdown
The Eastern Cape on Friday night had 2,459 confirmed Covid-19 cases with 53 deaths recorded, according to health minister Zweli Mkhize.
There were 1,036 recoveries listed.
Chris Hani, over 300, and O.R. Tambo, more than 200, districts had sudden surges in their confirmed infection counts.
The gap between Buffalo City and Nelson Mandela Bay had narrowed proportionately, with both metros mere days away from 1000 cases each if their new cases numbers continue at the current incline rate.
Of the now 141 cases listed as "imported cases" from other provinces, 122 were recorded as recovered.
The province had 65 people being kept in quarantine, according to the provincial health department.
The latest breakdown of cases in the province, by district, is as follows:
- Nelson Mandela Bay Metro: 886 cases , 18 deaths;
- Buffalo City Metro: 730 cases, 8 deaths;
- Chris Hani district: 317 cases, 13 deaths;
- O.R. Tambo district: 232 cases, 11 deaths;
- Amathole district: 68 cases, 2 deaths;
- Sarah Baartman district: 46 cases, 0 deaths;
- Alfred Nzo district: 27 cases, 0 deaths; and
- Joe Gqabi district: 12 cases, 1 death.
In the public interest, most of our coronavirus news isn’t behind our paywall, and is free to read. To support our mission of delivering award-winning, independent local news, subscribe from as little as R45 per month by clicking here.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.