Australian teen first person to die of box jellyfish sting in 15 years

The 17-year-old was taken off life support after remaining unresponsive for a week, BBC reports. Stock image.
The 17-year-old was taken off life support after remaining unresponsive for a week, BBC reports. Stock image.
Image: 123RF/ JODIE NASH

An Australian teenager has died of injuries sustained after being stung by a box jellyfish at a Queensland beach.

BBC reports it is the first fatality recorded in Australia from the world’s most venomous marine animal since 2006. A sting from the jellyfish can cause paralysis, cardiac arrest and death. 

The 17-year-old was taken off life support on Monday after remaining unresponsive for a week. 

TimesLIVE


subscribe

Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.

Speech Bubbles

Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.