Three Great Kei councillors take on ANC in by-elections
The ANC announced on Tuesday that three Eastern Cape members who registered with the IEC as independent ward candidates for by-elections in Great Kei municipality next month have automatically expelled themselves from the party.
Luleka Ndabambi, Nonkosinathi Mevana and Themba Gqomorhoshe were three of the five councillors who resigned when the ANC recalled Great Kei Mayor Loyiso Tshetsha earlier this year.
The trio told the Daily Dispatch on Tuesday that they had registered as independents.
Amathole regional secretary Teris Ntutu said the ANC was clear the action was a self-expulsion. He said the regional executive had anticipated the move and prepared for it.
“We have been conducting door-to-doors and, interestingly, we have noted the absence of the now former ANC members,” said Ntutu.
Ntutu said the ANC would make sure their branch secretaries removed them immediately from ANC structures.
Speaking to the Dispatch on Tuesday Gqomorhoshe, a former chief whip in the council, said he answered to a call from his community.
He said in consultations with residents it became apparent that they were unhappy with how the ANC was handling processes and many had requested he represent them.
“I was consulted by the community to stand and I have since agreed to stand,” he said.
The ANC has pinned its hopes on Mzamo Njekane, Wiver Sinqana and Zola Tshali to win back the three wards in the 13-member Great Kei council.
IEC national spokesperson Kate Bapela confirmed the three had registered with the IEC to contest as independents come November 21.
She said the deadline for the submission of candidates was still open. “This is the draft candidate list. Political parties have until November 2 to submit outstanding documents for their candidates, so this candidate list will be finalised after that deadline,” said Bapela...