DA refuses to take billboard down
The DA’s billboard “The ANC is killing us”, will not be taken down, party leader Mmusi Maimane said on Sunday.
He believes the public outcry over the billboard in Johannesburg is misdirected, saying it should be directed at the government “that has killed our people”.
Maimane was speaking to the Dispatch after preaching at the Anglican Christ Church in Amalinda in East London on Sunday.
The UDM and ACDP and trade union Amcu blasted the DA last week, saying the party was insensitive for not consulting families of the victims of the Marikana massacre, Life Esidimeni and children who were killed after falling into pit latrines in schools.
“The truth sometimes provokes people. The public outrage must be directed at the government that has killed our people. Let’s take action,” Maimane said.
“We honour them, those who died at Marikana, Life Esidimeni and our children dying in pit latrines. We are asking for justice for them,” he said.
When asked why the families had not been consulted about the billboard, Maimane said they did not consult the families of the Life Esidimeni tragedy when they campaigned for a commission of inquiry either.
The ANC laid a complaint with the IEC last week, while a relative of a Life Esidimeni victim and another man vandalised the billboard.
On Monday, Maimane and Eastern Cape DA premier candidate Nqaba Bhanga will be in King William’s Town...