Finally blast-off time for league
The league, called Open Boxing League (OBL) has been on the cards for a while with postponements for various reasons.
It is set to provide activity for boxers who may make the SA Team to international championships such as the Olympics and world boxing championships.
National amateur boxing has taken a nosedive, with boxers unable to compete in major championships including at last year’s Olympics in Rio.
SA National Amateur Organisation (Sanabo) will not be able to send boxers to the world championships in Hamburg, Germany starting on August 25.
Sanabo president Andile Mofu said the league will bridge the gap which seems to be widening due to a vast difference in the class of continental boxers and their counterparts in the rest of the world.
“This league will go a long way in addressing our mission to stake our claim in international championships,” he said.
The league has been divided into two streams, coined the red and blue corner.
The Eastern Cape team has been drawn into the red corner consisting of Western Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Northern Cape and Free State.
Gauteng, North West, Mpumalanga and Limpopo will fight out of the blue corner, with their stream scheduled to start next Saturday at Ekurhuleni.
About 60 boxers are expected to converge at
Indoor, with the bouts contested in all weight categories.
There will be 10 male weight categories and half of that for females.
The first leg will see a provincial team called Badgers pitted against WC Foxes, while Northern Cape Falcons will come up against KZN Killer Whales.
Mofu said all the five provinces were ready to duke it out with the technical meeting scheduled to be held this evening at the venue.
The weigh-in ceremony will start at 7am tomorrow morning, with the bell expected to ring for the start of the league at 2pm.
— Boxing Mecca