ABC Motsepe League set to resume in October
It has been almost seven months since the last ABC Motsepe League and other amateur league games took place, due to the coronavirus pandemic restrictions.
The SA Soccer Association Eastern Cape on Thursday confirmed the proposed date for the resumption of the league. Fixtures will resume on October 1 and national play-offs are set to be played between October 15-20 in Gauteng.
Safa met regional representatives to ensure the message was communicated down to local football associations to ensure compliance.
The amateur leagues will also resume if they strictly follow the Covid-19 regulations as prescribed by the government.
Eastern Cape Safa secretary Isaac Klaas questioned the the state of readiness of participating clubs in the province.
‘‘All the teams have to be ready, because the league has to be played to the finish in order for us to see who advances to the national play-offs,’’ he said.
Klaas also questioned whether the playing format of these upcoming final games would be similar to those in the premier division and national first division, where all the teams were inducted into a bio-bubble until the final game of the season.
‘‘So far the league will be played as per the previous set-up, before the league took a pause of seven months,’’ Klaas said.
With only nine games still to be played, Bizana Pondo Chiefs tops the overall log standings with 47 points, just ahead of second-placed rivals Spear of the Nation who are on 46 points.
The ABC Motsepe League fixtures will resume on October 1 and national play-offs will be played between October 15-20 in Gauteng.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.