WATCH | Beacon Bay business engulfed by fire
A Beacon Bay business at The Hub shopping centre was engulfed by fire on the morning of 10 December 2019.
A fire that destroyed the Guest Resource Services (GRS) training centre at The Hub in Beacon Bay on Tuesday could have wiped out another five shops were it not for the quick arrival of BCM firefighters.
Karen du Toit, an administrator at Cutman and Hawk Coffee Roasters, said she was in her office when workers from GRS rushed into the roaster, shouting that their kitchen had caught fire.
“That was exactly at 7.36am. I know because I phoned the fire brigade at 7.37am.
“I’ve checked these times on my phone, and at 7.50am I took a cellphone picture of them arriving.
“Without the prompt service, the whole block would be gone.”
The intensity of the blaze, one of the firefighters said, was possibly due to a pile of highly flammable mattresses, though he could not confirm it.
The firefighter was not authorised to speak to the media and could not give his name as a result.
Thembile Thompson, who heads BCM’s fire services, said there was no loss of life or injuries.
“The fast response is what we expect, it’s part of the job, but it is reassuring when it works so well,” Thompson said.
Calvin Edwards, co-owner of Salon Dog, a pet grooming shop next to GRS, said it appeared as if the blaze started in the kitchen, which is next to the salon.
He said four dogs were already being prepared for grooming, so the immediate concern was to get all the animals out the building and to safety.
“Fortunately once we returned the wall was quite cool.
“Our biggest earlier fear was that a gas bottle would explode, but someone, probably the fire team, got it out early.
“If it had exploded I think everything might have gone up in flames.”
GRS could not be reached for comment.
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.