Kid's gala postponed as staff fail to open Joan Harrison pool complex
A major primary school gala was placed in limbo at the 11th hour on Thursday when Buffalo City staff failed to appear at the Joan Harrison pool complex to open up.
It was unclear if a strike was in progress or if the closure was a follow-on to a similar tardiness to open up on Wednesday.
Standing at the closed gates at 8.10am, organiser of the Buffalo City Primary Top Eight Trials, and Stirling primary head of department, Craig Malherbe, said he had no official confirmation of what was going on.
The trials, which involved 300 primary school swimmers from seven to 13 years old, and involved a total of 600 people, were due to start at 2pm.
Malherbe said: “I have no idea what is going on but we have had this before.”
Parents and teachers at schools from as far afield as Komani, had been sent an e-mail on Wednesday night alerting them to troubles among the staff and a possible postponement.
Malherbe said he was basing his information from what swimmers at the Joan were telling him.
“We will have to make a call soon,” he said.
He had received no official communication from BCM by 8.10am.
Shortly after 9am Hudson Park Primary School sent a notification to parents informing them that the gala had been postponed due to strike action by the staff at the complex.
Attempts to get a response from BCM spokesperson Samkelo Ngwenya drew a blank.