DA student wing considers criminal charges against ANCYL’s Maine
This follows the Congress of the People earlier on Monday saying it is consulting “its legal team to formulate a possible charge of incitement” against Maine.
The DA said it “condemns the disturbing comments” made by Maine on Sunday and would refer this matter to the South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) “for its consideration for remarks that we contend rise to the level of inciting violence”.
“Maine‚ in his reckless statements‚ threatened civil war against those who undermine ANC leadership‚ particularly President (Jacob) Zuma in the build-up to the State of the Nation Address (Sona) this week‚” said Daso’s interim leader Yusuf Cassim.
“Specifically‚ Maine said: ‘The ANC Youth League will attend the Sona to defend the nation. We are ready for them. There will be blood.’ The thousands of youth present were urged to take action and to ‘defend the nation’ during the upcoming Sona‚” said Cassim.
“The minister of police‚ Nathi Nhleko‚ was even requested not to have security as the youth members would take over this role.”
Cassim urged ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashe to “come out strongly and publicly and condemn such speech if the ANC is at all committed to an inclusive and non-violent South Africa”.
“Failure to do so will demonstrate that the ANC and it’s youth constituent has lost touch with both reality and the people of South Africa‚” he added.
“That the ANCYL is prepared to shed blood in this regard typifies an ANC in sharp decline and desperate to hold onto power amid its deterioration ahead of the local government elections.”
Cassim urged SAHRC chairperson advocate Lawrence Mushwana to make “an example of Maine” to demonstrate “that this sort of conduct will not be tolerated in a democratic South Africa”.
“Additionally‚ the DA will be considering laying criminal charges against Maine if he is found to have broken the law by making such egregious remarks.”