Xasa ‘must account’ for initiate fatalities in the Eastern Cape
The Eastern Cape co-operative governance & traditional affairs department has been instructed to account to the national minister for each and every initiation death in the province.
Cogta MEC Fikile Xasa said he will also have to come up with ways of avoiding the deaths and present detailed action plans.
Xasa made the announcement during the traditional leaders’ summit at Mpekweni Beach Resort near Port Alfred.
This season’s initiation toll so far was announced to have increased to four, following a death in Matatiele.
“'I have a directive that I must now account to the minister about each initiation death in the Eastern Cape. It means that everybody must account – and in a detailed report,” said Xasa.
Cogta spokesperson Mamnkeli Ngam said Siphesihle Mlombeli, 17, of Maluti in Matatiele died on Monday.
It is alleged he committed suicide by hanging himself.
“This is the second death in Alfred Nzo,” said Ngam.
Two initiates died at Theko-Fihla in Centane in the Amathole district besides the two in Alfred Nzo. Ngam said a traditional surgeon in Lusikisiki had been arrested...
Would you like to comment on this article or view other readers' comments? Register (it’s quick and free) or sign in now.
Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.