WC transport MEC addresses influx of taxis to Eastern Cape
Western Cape transport MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela is aware of the huge number of minibus taxis that have been stopped at Eastern Cape roadblocks.
On Friday, taxis were backed up for hundreds of metres at roadblocks in parts of the province. The Aberdeen entry point was particularly congested.
It is understood that some passengers have also been issued with fake death certificates. As per lockdown regulations, people with proof of a relative’s death are allowed to travel between provinces.
Madikizela said the situation was “alarming” but taxis that had the “right permits” were allowed to transport passengers to funerals.
The issue was whether these permits were authentic.
The MEC said he had asked officials in his department to investigate allegations of fake permits, as he had been made aware such documents had been fraudulently issued.
In the public interest, none of our coronavirus news coverage will be behind our paywall. It is available free for all to read. If you would like to support our mission of delivering award-winning, independent local news, please consider taking out a subscription by clicking here.